This is the Cuke Archives page for what’s being featured each day.
Our other two Zen sites: shunryusuzuki.com - all the transcripts, audio, film, photo archive
and ZMBM.net - for Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.
New 2021: Audiobook for Crooked Cucumber & Zen Is Right Now: More Teaching Stories and Anecdotes of Shunryu Suzuki
Youtube Cuke Archives - Posts from here also appear on Facebook Cuke Archives
Core Books by and about Shunryu Suzuki -- People Index -- DC home -- DC Books
Cuke Podcasts - Instagram Cuke Archives - - Donate
For personal, environment, music, etc, go to Cuke nonZense Blog and cuke-annex
Search cuke blog 
Search Cuke.com

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Crescent Flashing

I was going to stay home and keep working, let Katrinka bring me take out, but got to a nice stopping place and decided to walk over to Annapurna to join her in dining on their great Indian style buffet. Out the door noticed strange flashings of bright light. Kept walking and looking around for what it was. Like lazer lights zipping by in the corner of my eye. Circular - part of a circle - crescent.
It was pretty dark. We live down a dark drive cause I got the hotel next door to disconnect two lights they had on all night out there. And the street's pretty dark too cause there's only overgrowth across and no traffic to speak of cause it's a dead end. Walking toward the lights and people the flashings continued every few seconds. Crescent zipping brightly. With plate in hand sat across Katrinka at a long table to join in the celebration of a friend's 21st year of not drinking booze. Met the couple sitting to my left, Paul and Diane. They stayed years ago in the apartment where we live. After a few minutes of conversation and mastication, said I thought I should share what was happening with me just in case I fall over dead or something and I explained what was happening to me. Turned out that Diane was a nurse in an eye doctor's office. She knew exactly what was happening to me and said I should see an opthamologist tomorrow morning and have my retina looked at. The jelly in it is shrinking or something and causing strain at the edge of the retina causing electrical impulses which I perceive as flashes. Diane told me not to put it off. I said I will call my doc first thing in the morning and he'll tell me where to go. Thanks Diane. And I thought I'd gotten the urge to go there just to eat and listen to the music with Katrinka.


When the vitreous gel inside your eye rubs or pulls on the retina, you may see what looks like flashing lights or lightening streaks. You may have experienced this sensation if you have ever been hit in the eye and see "stars."
These flashes of light can appear off and on for several weeks or months. As we grow older, it is more common to experience flashes. If you notice the sudden appearance of flashes, you should visit your ophthalmologist immediately because it could mean that the retina has been torn. From this site.