This is the Cuke Archives page for what’s being featured each day.
Our other two Zen sites: shunryusuzuki.com - all the transcripts, audio, film, photo archive
and ZMBM.net - for Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.
New 2021: Audiobook for Crooked Cucumber & Zen Is Right Now: More Teaching Stories and Anecdotes of Shunryu Suzuki
Youtube Cuke Archives - Posts from here also appear on Facebook Cuke Archives
Core Books by and about Shunryu Suzuki -- People Index -- DC home -- DC Books
Cuke Podcasts - Instagram Cuke Archives - - Donate
For personal, environment, music, etc, go to Cuke nonZense Blog and cuke-annex
Search cuke blog 
Search Cuke.com

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Medical Checkups

This is just a boring report but for those who are concerned about cost and quality of medical care it might be interesting. That photo is Sangla Hospitol.

Last week went to Indra hospital for local residents and got my eyes and ears checked for whatever they check for. Was happy didn't have to replace the long distance glasses I got at Costco five or so years ago. Only use them for driving which I don't do and TV and museums. Same with short range - 2.75 holding steady. They gave me another pair of those.


Ears fine except there was cotton in both ears from inferior cue tips which I promised I'd not use again not even the superior ones Katrinka got in the US. And was told not to put alcohol in my ears after swimming to evaporate the water, just let it happen at its own rate. Too bad, I liked doing that. Got some eye drops because she said that my eyes are a little dry which happens at my age - 72- and in this tropical clime. Total charge for all about 25 bucks. We get local price because we have  KITAS resitdent visas. Then a step up to Sangla hospital for heart and blood. I was in the Amerta wing which used to be called the international wing though, as with Indra, I never saw a caucasian and only spoke English with the cardiologist.who's a high cast nice guy who spoke it quite well - one of the few males I've dealt with in 3.5 years for medical or dental. There are a few higher cost hospitals that specialize on dealing with foreigners. All those tests were fine. That cost about seventeen bucks. Blood test next morning then eat and another two hours later cost about what it would in the US - 90 bucks. They emailed me the results in English and Indonesian which I forwarded to the doctor who said all is good. No charge for that.

Glad to have that out of the way. Don't need a colonoscopy for another two years. Katrinka's Aussie nurse practitioner suggests doing that in the States because they don't have a good reputation here for reading the results. I've heard that before and thought that for.Xrays, scans, etc it might be good to get another opinion in the US or maybe Singapore. That can be done via email.

End of boring medical test report.